For part one I found this experiment a bit hard. I couldn’t help but
laugh at seeing the other person’s reaction but it was an interesting
assignment. I would always want to just jump in and say something in words but
I knew I couldn’t. So keeping quite was hard. It seemed like my partners were
getting frustrated to not hear me speaking back to them. They would ask me the
question a few times waiting for the answer they wanted, after a while they
just didn’t want to speak to me anymore. I would think that the ones
communicating verbally would have the advantage. It is easier for the ones
speaking verbally to get things done. I can see this difficulty in the hard of
hearing and the mute. It must be very difficult for them to get their point
across to people and the only way would be writing or just doing things on
their own.
I
was not able to do the whole 15 minutes for Part 2. As much as I tried, I would
try to not use my hands or facial expressions I would end up finding myself
using them. It was difficult to just be a person sitting there as if I didn’t
even exist. They found my communication funny because I was
expressionless. To them it was like talking to a wall or a doll. I had
never really realized how much I use my hands or facial expressions when
talking. I feel like in this world we just see speech as something everyone
should have, and forget those who are mute or deaf. I now see how important it
is to be able to speak and use our expressions. I think there are people
that have a difficulty reading body language. Not everyone may take body
language the same way. I think it is important to be able to read body language
in order to know how a person really feels. If a person says please but has a
very strong body language then you may see that person isn’t being sincere.
Body language says a lot about you and how you feel. Not sure when body
language wouldn’t be used because I feel body language is important to get to
know a person.
Good job on Part A. Good description and discussion.
ReplyDeleteIn part B, can you identify a specific group of people who cannot read body language? Remember that even the deaf and blind can read certain aspects of body language, but there are people who cannot really read it at all.
Regarding an advantage to NOT reading body language, what about if the body language may lie to you, such as in a culture where the body language is different from your own?
When doing the assignment I totally wanted to jump in and say a few words myself, it kinda was the hardest part. The part 2 I barely got through, I never realized how much movement exactly is involved when communicating with others. Great job :)
ReplyDelete